The Caravanserai of the Egyptians in Tripoli, Lebanon
Local relationship manager and assistant to the project leader
Youssef is a proud son of the city of Tripoli and well embedded in its society. He likes being able to support the renovation project by his interpersonal skills and his knowledge about how to promote things and legal procedures in Tripoli and Beirut.
- 2021- … Owner of a gas station opposite the town hall in Tripoli and personal assistant to the project leader of the Khan restoration project
- 2017-2020 diverse commitments as an independent merchant, including as a
soap shop owner, after having been employed by a soap manufacturer in the Khan
- 2016-2018 Award winner: “student entrepreneur Lyon France” 2016; “Most creative idea prize Theemar Tarablos” 2018
- 2011-2017 studies in electronic and biomedical engineering at French-Lebanese University in Tripoli and at Polytechnical University of Lyons, France:
diploma as electronics and biomedical engineer. Member no.190827 in the Directory of Engineers of Lebanon
- *1993 in Tripoli, Lebanon. Lebanese national
Frank Beat Keller
Leader and initiator of the project
Frank knows that there is no future without being aware of the past. Anthropology, social science and free lance research being his main topic, he combines his practical skills and forty years of experience in reconstruction of historical buildings with his experience as fundraiser, project leader and employer. He wants to foster involvment in sustainability and reduction of social inequalities both in his hometown and abroad. Being a curious ethnologist he studies Islamic Culture and Arabic and is still under way.
- 2018- …. travels to Lebanon and founder of the “Khan el-Masriyyin” renovation project
- 1981- …. project leader: renovation of heritage sites and many other buildings, owner and managing director (2-12 employees)
- 1980- …. owner and managing director of a floor renovation firm (6 employees)
- 2010-2022 elected school-supervisor in Zurich
- 2011-2022 elected member of the committee for the Zurich Conservatorium (Zurich music highschool)
- 1991-2006 event planner (content & executive manager: 900 events in museums) 1986-2008 exhibition maker (content, research, realisation, design, publications, fundraising) (anthropological and social themes) for ethno-expo inc. in Switzerland, Germany, India, Austria
- 1976-1980 researcher of architectural heritage sites (Swiss Confederation)
- 1973-1983 studies in anthropology, economy and history at Zurich University: m.a. anthropologist
- *1951 in Zürich, Switzerland. Swiss national
Local architect and building site manager/supervisor
Bassem’s main interest consists of preserving the architectural and art heritage of the city of Tripol. He documented the 700 years old Islamic patterns found on mamelouk and ottoman buildings in Tripoli. After having met the project leader in 2019 he enrolled in his master’s degree project: “Restoration of Historical Monuments” to qualify for the task.
- 2022- …. Founder and owner of “Three Fold Studio”, consultant in Architecture, Restoration and Islamic Art”, Tripoli
- 2019- …. self-employed project leader and scientific collaborator in various local city planning and renovation project including workers’ training
- 2019- …. self-training in arabic callygraphy and kufi marhabba, including exhibitions in art galleries and preparation of online-tutorials
- 2016-2019 Employed in a Tripoli/Beirut engineering firm
- 2019-2020 studies in restoration of historical monuments at Lebanese University: m.a. restoration of historical monuments.
- 2012-2016 studies in architectural engineering at Beirut Arab University: b.a. architectural engineer. Member no.11314 of the Order of Engineers and Architects of Lebanon
- *1994 in Tripoli, Lebanon. Lebanese national